Use your Diversity, Oppression, and Social Functioning text to read the following:
- Chapter 11, “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People Confront Heterocentrism, Heterosexism, and Homophobia,” pages 162–182.
Use the Capella University Library to read the following:
- Israel, T., Gorcheva, R., Walther, W. A., Sulzner, J. M., & Cohen, J. (2008). Therapists’ helpful and unhelpful situations with LGBT clients: An exploratory study. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 39(3), 361–368.
For this discussion, your fellow learners have created a presentation that contextualizes practice with the LGBTQ population. After you view their presentation, use your post to discuss one or more of the following:
- What are the key factors that need to be addressed when working with LGBTQ clients?
- Discuss similarities and differences in the several groups contained within the LGBTQ community.
- Are there similarities between any of these groups and the groups that you researched?
- How would you incorporate the key factors into your plan for working with clients from these groups?